Friday 10 February 2012

VERSE 9 – 28
Verse 9 – 10
·         Hannah makes a ‘ vow ‘
·         For her, as we shall see it is a true PROMISE to God.
·         Verse 10 – Sabaoth is the chosen Name for God.
It is repeated on the lips of Hannah – this is significant
Verse 11
·         Hannah is specific in her prayer and her request – she asks for one boy to be born of her.
·         If given Hannah promises to consecrate him to the Lord as a NAZARITE.
·         NAZARITE
                     -     Rooted in Book of Numbers 6: 1 – 21 and Book of Judges 13 : 2 – 7
-          For a male who is consecrated as a Nazarite they cannot
       a. Have their hair cut b. Drink of the fruit of the vine and c. Touch a dead body.
-          Nazarites have included Samson in the Old Testament and St John the Baptist in the New Testament.
-          Here Samuel is named as a Nazarite
Verse 12
·         Eli sees Hannah and assumes that she is drunk
·         This showed the state of affairs in that it must have been common
       to see a drunk at the Gate.
·         It reflected indeed the low state of the nation at that time
Verse 14 – 17
·         Hannah explains her petition to Eli. Eli’s reply – “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant what you have asked of Him.” In this statement we see Eli as an INTERCESSOR of Hannah’s prayer. As a Judge of Israel Eli held a special place of intercession between the People and God.
Verse 18
·         Concludes with Hannah eating, banqueting and being no longer dejected.
·         Although the prayer HAS NOT YET been answered Hannah shows complete trust and faith. Her spirits are consoled, lifted and healed by God at that moment.

Verse 19 – 23
·         Samuel is born and weaned.
·         He is raised by Hannah and Elkanah until age 12
·         In these verses we read of an UNSEEN MINISTRY of Hannah with her son
·         Like St John the Baptist and the ‘ hidden life ‘ of Jesus Samuel is raised as a boy in a righteous and godly family. Elkanah continues year after year to offer sacrifice at Shiloh.

Verse 24 – 28
·         Samuel, now 12 years old, is presented by Hannah to Eli.
·         Note that Elkanah, as Samuel’s father, is also to be commended for his faith for Samuel was his only son by Hannah and he too is willing to offer Samuel to the Lord.
·         Samuel is presented very clearly for a life time and not as some Jewish priests who were for a set number of years. The commitment was for life.

QUESTIONS
1.       Hannah makes a specific vow and a specific prayer to God.
What do you think about prayers and petitions that are very ‘specific ‘?

2.       Hannah and Elkanah give their 12 year old son to Eli after waiting for so long for a son.
      How have you been blessed ? How much did you turn over to the Lord ?
      If blessed could you turn all of it over to the Lord ?

3.       Hannah afforded Samuel ‘ unseen ministry ‘ in his childhood.
What ‘ unseen ministry ‘ do you offer ?

4 comments:

  1. When I pour my heart out to God in prayer often it is for a specific cause or request knowing full well that He is in charge and knows better that I what is best for me or the the person that I am praying for. I try to remember that "your will be done" , try but not always successful cause I want what I want. Should be more humble in my prayer.
    Blessings too many to count, in my marriage, in my family, in my children, most importantly in my gift of faith. Please God, don't ask me to give them back....could I?? I think of Job and his great sorrow in all that he lost and how he continued to love the Lord, but cried out in anguish...thank God this life is temporary...and short compared with all eternity.
    Don't understand the third question, can you clarify?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thought on Samuel is how obedient he was to his mother. After all, it was she who made the promise to God that he would be a nazarite, he had no say in the matter and yet he did as his mother had promised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I had not thought of that before. Thank you for the insight. It is similar to Isaac, son of Abraham and Sarah. Sarah was barren until visited by the Lord and had her one son Isaac. Abraham was willing to sacrifice and give up this one son. It was therefore a willing sacrifice of Sarah and Abraham but also a willing self sacrifice by Isaac himself who even carried the wood for his own sacrifice. I never thought of similar this action of Isaac was to Samuel.

      Delete
  3. 1. I think everyone, at one time or another, makes a very specific prayer to God. I think that these types of prayers are alright, however, the person who makes them should realize that God’s answer may be, “No.”. God may have better solutions to our problems that we have even realized and we may be setting ourselves up for disappointment if we don’t get what we ask for when we pray in this manner.
    2. I have had many blessings in my life: a caring family growing up, a loving husband and wonderful children, a job that I still love doing year after year, my health, and friends who support me. I have turned many things over to God in prayer through the years – someone who would love me for who I am (after many bad relationships), the ability to have children (after years of trying and being unsuccessful), and, lately, any medical issues that arise with me, my family, and my friends. Could I turn all of it over to the Lord? Well, these are not really mine to begin with. Everything belongs to God. If I hope to be with God after I die, then I cannot be selfish now. I’m not saying that it wouldn’t be painful if any of these things were to leave me, but I cannot hold on to them like possessions and keep them from God.
    3. As far as ‘unseen ministry’, I have tried to be a role model for my children, showing them how to care for all of God’s creation, how to pray (not just petitions, but also giving thanks), and how to be responsible and empathetic citizens – showing compassion, mercy, and justice. Hopefully, this will carry over into their adult life.

    ReplyDelete